Saturday, November 9, 2013

"Don't be a hero"

Lots of people use the phrase "don't be a hero"; "Don't be a hero when you get robbed, just give them your money." Why not? Exactly when am I supposed to be a hero? Isn't it a good thing to be a hero?

In this case, a 'hero' is someone who would put themselves at risk for the betterment of others. If the hero stops the robber, they can't rob more or worse. Why shouldn't someone do that? Shouldn't we really say "please be a hero, but don't sweat it if the odds just look too impossible to win"?

Being a hero doesn't stop with common criminals. That guy who burnt himself alive and started the Arab spring, I would argue that guy was a hero. He took bodily harm for the betterment of others.

Just the other day, I was talking to a friend who grew up in communist eastern Europe. I asked her if the majority supported what the communists were doing; killing and stealing. She said they didn't, but that no one stood up to that aggressive minority. Her country needed heroes and didn't have enough of them.

I actually think we'd be better off with more heroes. If someone tried to steal everyone's stuff in a communist takeover, I'd hope to see some heroes. If someone tried to stop on women's rights like they did in the Iranian revolution, I'd like to see some heroes step up. Heroes fight against negative social situations all the time.

I would argue that our founders were just that sort of hero. Paying higher taxes without representation isn't a big slight but they put themselves in peril to stop it for the sake of others and future generations.

That's why I own guns. It's why the founders gave us the 2nd amendment; so we could be heroes if we ever had to. Not every bad guy is going to feel so much sympathy for protesters that they'll peacefully stand down. Some of them will have to be defeated. It's happened all throughout history and in other parts of the world.

Most in my generation have never needed to use violence to be heroes. But I don't delude myself in thinking there will never again be a fight for freedom on my continent. So I go to the rifle range every once in a while.

And when I walk unsafe streets, I carry pepper spray. A hero would never give up their street to people who would steal other's freedom. I don't hope to be robbed, but if I walk those streets without showing fear, others won't be afraid to either. It makes the whole neighbourhood better. Being ready/willing to be a hero is different than hoping to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment