Sunday, August 4, 2013

Privacy is for criminals like us

The bank called me to ask about some wire transfers on my account. They claimed to do so because of account monitoring for the USA Patriot act.

Why wouldn't I answer their questions? I'm not a terrorist, after all, so I have nothing to hide. Or wait, I do have things to hide, they're just not terrorism. Maybe I do drugs they don't think you should be allowed to do. Maybe I have a sex life my neighbors wouldn't approve of. Maybe I eat stuff they wouldn't eat, I give to charities they wouldn't give to, I think ideas and worship gods that they do not. Privacy is how I can protect myself from their judgement and demands.

Privacy isn't about "I'm doing nothing wrong so I have nothing to hide." Privacy is about doing something most people think is wrong but isn't because it doesn't affect anyone else.

A lot of things used to be illegal. Alcohol, inter-racial marriage, being gay, Christianity, astronomy, American Independence. But privacy protects these things, it protects victim-less 'crimes' from an oppressive majority. It protects criminals like us.

1 comment: